Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Why This Kolaveri???


RAJENDRA UTSAV
One of my friends who was there at Hotel Swosti on 18th December to witness the AKHILA UTSAV told me that this time the RAJENDRA UTSAV was a flop one.  I amended; not RAJENDRA, it’s AKHILA USTAV in remembrance of great story teller Akhila Mohan Patnaik. He laughted, “had it been so”.  Being just a mere spineless rubber stamp at this age Mr. Panda is inviting criticism, he added. This ceremony is purely controlled & operated in an autocratic way by Mr. Mishra who is very cleverly using rubber stamps.
During the above mentioned function another friend asked Mr. Mishra that who was this Anil Kumar Das, to whom this year’s AKHILA SAMMAN was conferred. Another source said that some invited delegates from western Odisha came pretty before & had their shelters in city hotels to witness and to participate in this celebration only. But surprisingly no senior or middle-aged authors from Bhubaneswar were present there except Mr. Aurabinda Ray. I personally asked many & collected data from several sources that Mr. Mishra knowingly invited no body besides his close associates. Cleverly Mr. Mishra had tried to avoid people who don’t want to be his comrades or followers. Taking the advantage of Mr. Panda’s blind support he has been propagating his own personal agenda in the daily activities of the foundation. Even though they preach secularism a certain group headed by Mr. Panda is now trying to be racist by supporting & grooming only western Odisha and people who praise their style of poetry writing.
Suddenly one of my friend advised me, “Subhransu, don’t worry about it. AKHILA USTAV became a purely private affair & being private they have all right to play their own game & to beat their own drum.” Ok, let it be. Fortunately I was not invited to that festival.

KENDRA SAHITYA ACADEMY FARCE-2011

I came to experience the same embarrassing situation today(19 December). There was a news on today’s Sambad regarding a function by Kendra Sahitya Academy at Bhanja Kala Mandap to celebrate 150th birth year of Biswa Kabi & two of my favorite authors were supposed to be on stage as guests. Unfortunately I read today’s news paper late at 12 noon. I had some appointments in Bhubaneswar civil court, that’s in front of Bhanja Kala Mandap & I planned to pay a visit to that function as soon as my official job was over. I was in a hurry & finished the legal works by 3 pm and rushed to Bhanja Kala Mandap. In court campus I met one of my old media friends, coincidently who was present at Bhanja Kala Mandap earlier in that morning. He informed that the session was over by 1 pm where Manoj Das & Haraprasad Das had delivered their speeches. I missed them both & phoned to another author friend who was also there in the morning session. Perhaps in the meeting hall Mr. Ram Kumar Mukhopadhyay was the only non-Odia person. But he requested Mr. Haraprasad to deliver his keynote address in English which raised a few eyebrows. Academy could have translated the keynote address into English instead of requesting him to deliver the same in English in the heart of Odia state. I don’t know whether this can ever happen in Kolkata. Once the first session was over the hall became no man’s land. This because outnumbered the audience.
Though the first session was over a pretty earlier my friend advised me to go inside. There were some other literary programs going on. I entered in to the compound. There was a book exhibition outside the meeting hall. No people were there except the book seller & a stray dog. At once someone came out of the hall & he was no other but another media friend. We chatted a long. He told me that there was a poetry recitation program going on inside. And he showed me some photographs. I am sorry to say that there were 8 people on dias & 7 to 10 people in front of them. This stage was also presided over By Mr.Rajendra Kishore Panda. Mr. Kedar Mishra was also on dias. Incidentally Mr. Mishra was not present there during the first session. I have no complaint against Mr. Mishra’s poem. But as far as his generation is concerned, Mr. Bharat Majhi is most prominent & he truly represents his generation. There are many other poets of his generation, who are much more powerful than Mr. Mishra. But they were not invited. Because they are not as clever as Mr. Mishra & they are not in any literary politics. I don’t know who had made the list of invited poets. If it was made by Mr. Panda, I prefer to be silent. And if it was made by the people in charge of Sahitya Academy Odia Wing, then it’s very clear that in pressure & fear they have made all this.
In this case I can’t call it a personal affair. Sahitya Academy is spending a good amount of money for this kind of program. But numerous poets listen to each other & go home happily with their remunerations. Don’t think that no one came because it was a working day. The first session proved it wrong. All the seats were occupied in first session. Why they didn’t get any audience in second session? The real reason was the stage was taken over by some unwanted & ill-deserved people. That is what happened in AKHIL UTSAV also. There was a funny scene during the first session in Bhanja Kala Mandap. A senior poet who was on the dias in the second session was seen as he was taking a nap with resting his two legs on the front row chair like a rickshaw-puller sleeps on his rickshaw. Instead of listening to the speakers he was engaged with a book. Perhaps he was preparing for the second session. I have a photograph to prove this point.
Finally I preferred to come back from the doorstep instead of spoiling my time in that ghost chamber. Outside the Mandap there were three bikes & 12 cars in the parking place. When I came to the main road Mr. Satakadi hota & a lady editor entered the compound. Lol! They got two audiences more.
Really the academy was involved in too many farces. All the benefits are consumed by the academy members only. Writers-in-Residence scheme was a big example. It will be another essay if I write only about the writer-in-residence program in Odisha.

8 comments:

Saroj said...

Bravo Subhransu!!! You told my tongue. Thanks a lot.

Whatnotindia.com said...

The two days' Programme was by Westerners of Westerners and for Westerners. They all including Mr. Panda and Mishra should leave the capital city which is the seat of Eastern Odisha. As they are promoting parochialism they all should be thrown out of Bhubaneswar.
Samar

Subhransu Panda said...

Samar Bhai, in a literary world there are nothing called western & eastern Odisha. These are only geographical concepts. Of course there are a few people trying to satisfy their selfish interests by creating divisions among writers and readers. You may see there are few editors who have made themselves blind with this unfortunate bios thinking. But also there are many who are neutral. Their number is more than the first category. There are many brilliant Odia writers who are from western Odisha.

Whatnotindia.com said...

We always see and visualise Odisha as one. We love all writers despite their birth places. All have conribution to Odia Language and Literature. But the fact is that some opportunists are playing caste and area cards like 'Dalit' and 'Paschima Odisha'. These people do this division for their own interests and original habitant of Bhubaneswar, Puri and Cuttack, even Balasore with their broadness donot bother this, but at last suffer. So this must stop. We must boycot such writers who are spreading differences between East and West, Dalit and Non-dalit.

Anonymous said...

I have been watching literary scenario at Bhubaneswar Old Busstand since last 25-26 years. It was very cordial & affectionate until last 10 years. But a few ambitious young writers having no real literary quality polluted it. That is exactly what happened in the whole Odia literature also. Writers are being judged not for the quality of their writing, but for their connections and positions. There are some young people who are editing literary magazines are trying to get cheap benefits by circulating poison of division and discrimination. They have established themselves as thinkers by exploiting good connections and pleasing non-worthy highly placed individuals. You might have noticed it, the quality of once very popular Sachitra Vijaya have decreased to a very cheap and slogan-oriented magazine. Its present editor is using it to please his own people & to fulfill his personal dreams. As lots of money is coming in to Odissi dance in every issue you may find two or three Odissi articles as if Vijaya is a dance magazine. In most of the issue I find nonsence Dalit related articles & translations which are very raw & unpublishable. There are good articles and writers. Publish them! Why are you giving chance to hypocrats? The present editor is a poet and wellread man. I don't know why he is doing such rubbish things? If you want to earn money go somewhere and do some other job! If you want to enter into politics join a political party! If you want to please only western-odisha writers go back to your village and publish another magazine! Why are you spoiling an established and great magazine like Vijaya?
But I have great respect for poet Rajendra Panda. From his poetry recitation & interviews I know he is a very good & straightforward person. His eyes say that his heart is very pure. He doesn't have any east-west division in his mind. I can't believe he can do so!!

Soumya saraswata said...

Good observation sir, i m surprised to knw abt it... I hav jst listened abt the farce b4 and abt the buk of Mr Prakash mohapatra on the same name. Now confirmed... This is the reason why new writers are nt interested in Odia literature. If sahitya academy continues this type of partialism then era of Odia literature will come to an end. I don't knw abt others, bt I have respect for Mr R.K Panda. Its hard to blv that he z involved in such activities... And another cheap thing happens there also. Sm editors ask the new writers for their creation to publish but publish them on their own name. Does the acadamy have any control over it???

Anonymous said...

WOW... WOW...
JHAGADAA KAANHIKI? BANTIKUNTI KHAAO.
WOW... WOW... WOW...

Rajendra Kumar Roul said...

Dear Subhransu Babu, I went through your blog and get myself electrified in your words. Several years ago I am really fighting with several questions; like- why did I prefer to do literature? Why I chose writing as my soul profession? Unfortunately, still I am writing without finding any answer and happy to say that I am enjoying heartily my friends to write as well bearing the same state of mind like me. I salute your braveness my dear. The way you write all this I have no word really to praise you.
(((Some months ago One of my well-wishers (I can never mention his name) called me by phone and advised not to feel sorry if you don’t get the first Kendra Sahitya Academy YUVA Puraskar as your name is in the top of the aspirants list, because that might drop into the basket of a lady writer (Here I can confess that I have also submitted my candidature and sent my short story collection HATYAKAREE for this award). In Face Book wall, what I remembered, one Mr. Bidyadhara Panda has predicted that there have been already started horse trading to snatched the award away and he wrote two women writers title who -he guessed- are involved in this horse trading. You have raised the question about Writers-in-Residence Scheme of Kendra Sahitya Academy. Really it is nothing but a farce in your word. Do you know dear who is selected for this? What I listened –may it be fake- She is no-other-than a woman writer.)))
I mentioned all this to let our readers know what is going on really in Odia Literature. In Face Book, some months ago a great… great and also great poet - who is now active in Odia literature - has asked to let him know the name of the writers who are under forty. It seems what? He has no knowledge about us!
Justice is far away what I may call ‘a distant window’ in our Odia literature. Dear Subhransu Babu, I don’t really want to blame anybody. To whom I’ll blame? And why? Who is really doing authentically his job here? Very frankly, everybody is in the state to fulfill their selfishness by hook or crock. Come on friend, we’ll write and mere write? Let others to do politics. Don’t think I am a coward or timid who fears to raise his voice. But I am dejected. My only wish is to concentrate in writing and wish you too. Time will reward us.