Saturday, November 26, 2011

Making no sense, yet too much

Most of my non-Odia colleagues are from south. During our conversations, no doubt, they speak better English than me. However you will smell a southern fragrance in most their pronunciation & accents. But I have no problem with this. They speak more fluently & seamlessly.
OK. Let me come to the point. Usually I love to read news from newspapers, neither from TV nor Internet. Hardly I watch TV though I was working as a TV journalist for quite sometime. I use the Internet only to have a look on top news, sometimes for vernacular online editions. Apart from that I use the Internet for my official requirements, for social networking and yes, of course entertainment. I was out of my city for about 10 days. When I came back yesterday, as usual, first I gathered all newspapers & started looking them over. In THE HINDU of 23rd November I found a feature titled Why this 'Why this Kolaveri'?. Lo! I am a net-addicted person! But I had no idea about this "Why This Kolaveri" till yesterday. Pity; I am working as a communication manger! As I finished this The Hindu article by Sudhis Kamath, I went online & read another one by Barkha Dutt in Hindustan times. Before surfing Internet for more information, I lost my curiosity & went on listening the song in YouTube. Friends here is the link for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR12Z8f1Dh8&feature=aso. But don't click on this before reading my stuff.
Why This Kolaveri is now became the national hit song. This song is from the upcoming Tamil movie 3. You can call this song a nonsense one. But it makes too much sense to Indian music lovers. From yesterday evening till today I have listened it more than 50 times. (I have not counted actually.) Any way, it made my day a happier one. If I write the lyric here, you will find no meaning. It's a mixture of three-four Tamil words & some English words each with a additional U to their end. This has been sung & written by actor Dhanush; the lead character in 3. you may remember Dhanush as the son-in-law of Tamil superstar Rajanikant. Rajanikant's daughter Aiswarya Dhanush is the director of this movie 3 which is scheduled to be released on 14th January 2012. As a situation in this movie demands a light-hearted fun song about love failure, she herself came with this tune of Why This Kolaveri.
                                                           the master-u mind-u

I notice in Internet some people call this song as anti-girl, some other as anti-Tamil & some else call it a caricature to English language. But simply, I can call this a love anthem with a vibrant music and a powerful lyric having no sense. What-u a paradox-u yaar-u? If you have a broken heart, just listen this song & ask your girl, Why This Kolaveri Di? But why this KOLAVERI DI? Kolaveri is a soft Tamil slang-u & Di means girl-u.
Now enjoy the link.

1 comment:

Jagadish Mohanty said...

What made this song great is its Inglish use. It proves use of Inglish may be a common media of interaction in India. It shows a great aspect. You also can’t deny the motive and mode of promotion for this song. However, as a song, it doesn’t impress me personally.